Damat İbrahim Pasha Complex

Damat İbrahim Pasha Complex

The complex (külliye) which was built in the first half of the 18th century (1726-1727) by Nevşehirli (meaning "from Nevşehir") Damat İbrahim Pasha, the famous grand vizier of the Tulip Era, consists of a mosque, madrasah, caravanserai, primary school, soup-kitchen, bathhouse and two fountains.

It is one of the last applications of the classical Ottoman social complex program in terms of the complex program. The mosque, the madrasah, primary school, and the soup kitchen were built on a platform restricted by a retaining wall in the complex, which is located on a sloping land. There is a mosque in the east of this platform, through which the Camicedid Street passes; the primary school, madrasah and soup-kitchen in the west; and two fountains, one outside the south wall of the mosque courtyard and the other on the retaining wall in the corner of the courtyard of the primary school. The bathhouse is in the north of this platform, on a sloping land.

The Ibrahim Pasha Mosque (Kurşunlu Cami) has a square planned sanctuary and a rectangular plan mihrab unit sticking out from the south wall. The transition to the dome, which is covered with a large dome, is provided by squinches. The cover of the place in front of the mihrab, sticking out from the sanctuary, is a semi-cavetto vault.

© Copyright 2021 All rights reserved.